Sunday, August 21, 2011

10 DAY YOU CHALLENGE #7- 4 BOOKS

I don’t know if it was because of my parents or because I was an only child that I happened to read a lot of books. Reading is something I enjoy so give me a book and that would be the last you would see of me till I finish the book. Such is the vigour with which I involve myself into it. :D

Btw, don’t confuse reading with studying. the latter doesn’t really amuse me as much. ;D

Anyways, here’s my list.

4 BOOKS

1. ANGELS AND DEMONS- Dan Brown

This best seller from Dan Brown was a whole new experience for me. A brilliant mix of fact and fiction, this book had everything I could ask for. Science, symbology, suspense, romance and that 3-letter-word-that-should-not-be-named (:D). Robert Langdon, or rather Dan Brown had me spell bound and I ended up reading all of his books after that. But nothing could match the master piece that was ANGELS AND DEMONS. Definitely one of my favourites.

2. A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS- Khaled Hosseini

I wasn’t expecting much from this book when I happened to pick it up and to be very frank, i knew nothing about this book except for the fact that it was written by the man who authored THE KITE RUNNER, an international best seller. I should add here that I hadn’t actually read THE KITE RUNNER before picking up this book, just heard that it was very popular. But omfg, what a book it was! A myriad of human emotions set in war torn Afghanistan, the author had me spell bound. Definitely a MUST READ.

3. 2 STATES- Chetan Bhagat

Not really being the lover boy type, this was also a book I had put much thought into before buying. But man, was it totally worth every rupee I paid for it. When I went through the cover/back page, I knew I had to buy this book.

Love marriages around the world are simple:

Boy loves girl. Girl loves boy. They get married.

In India, there are a few more steps:

Boy loves girl. Girl loves boy.

Girl’s family has to love boy. Boy’s family has to love girl.

Girl’s family has to love boy’s family. Boy’s family has to love girl’s family.

Girl and boy still love each ther. They get married.

Simple language, amazing flow and adorable characters made this book a NEVER POSSIBLE TO PUT DOWN one.

4. THE KITE RUNNER- Khaled Hosseini

Khaled Hosseini. Again. Man, this guy is a MASTER. He knows just how to capture human emotions and play around it. Set predominantly in war torn Afghanistan, this book talks about the relationship between two boys who grow up in Afghanistan. Circumstances, The Taliban and the unrest that ensues separates them. How the main characters meet again is handled brilliantly. Saying anything more would be taking too much out of the suspense element. I definitely put this down as a MUST READ.

That’s my top 4 books. But in all fairness, had I written this post about a year back, the HARRY POTTER series would have definitely been right up there on that list. But unfortunately, am a grown man now(B) :D). And Ms. Rowling, though I hugely enjoyed them, they still don’t make it into the top 4.

Until next time,

ADIOS!

2 comments:

  1. really proud of u for excluding rowling from the top 4... btw hav u read lotr series and books by alistair maclean? check m out... never knew hosseini was soo gud... will need to borrow one from u... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure thing. whenever u need them, lemme know. ;)never really been a fan of the LOTR series. probably had somethin to do with the fact that the movies had released b4 i could get my hands on a book. so i decided to chuck it. :D :P

    ReplyDelete