Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Traffic, traffic and more traffic

The exams are over and the rains have stopped (well, not really but atleast the frequency has come down). No better time to head off to practice. And that’s exactly what I did.

Two days of movies after the exams and the third day I was off to practice. I set off for practice at 3 and 20 mins later, I was in the ground. A hour and a half of practice and one hour of football later it had turned dark. And I knew straight away that I was in for a long drive back home.
I practice at st.bede’s school playground(I did my schooling there), my cricketing haven for the past 10 years! The ground in itself is huge and so is the parking lot. A couple of college buses are parked here in the evenings.


After a grueling practice session, the last thing you need is to be stuck in traffic. My troubles began in the ground itself. The driver of one of the buses had parked his bus rite in my car’s path in such a way that I couldn’t reverse my car without banging into the bus. Luckily, there was some space between my car and the adjoining one. My driving skills were put to the test and a few tense minutes later, I successfully managed to manouevre the car outside without any real damage to my car.


My woes didn’t stop there. Beach road which is usually free had a huge traffic jam today. I covered about 1 km in 10 mins, during which I drove only in first gear!!! Aaargh and it didn’t stop there. One more traffic jam near central station followed. Handbrake, first gear, handbrake, first gear, handbrake, first gear was what followed as it took me another 10 mins to cross the central bridge.


And if you thought my traffic problems stopped there, then you are definitely wrong. That’s where the real trouble began. As I entered wall tax road, my traffic woes reached extraordinary heights. The people here have no regard for traffic rules and even if they come and fall on your vehicle, you are at fault. As if this wasn’t enough, the numerous cargo/goods carriers ( flat bodied rickshaws, tempo travelers, etc) make it almost impossible to drive here. And that was exactly what happened today. I was driving along smoothly when a rickshaw puller in front of me suddenly decided to take a wild right turn. I had to brake suddenly and in the chaos that followed, a Honda activa almost banged into me!!! I had no other option but to curse them under my breath and drive away.


10 more bp raising mins on walltax road later, I finally reached home!!! My goodness, I’ve had more than a few bad days behind the wheel but today was definitely the worst of them all. It took me nearly an hour to reach my home from the ground (which at any other time of the day would have taken just 20 mins). All I had done was start a couple of mins late from the ground. And this was what I got, one hour on the road, a few heart beat raising moments and a stiff back!!! Sowcarpet might be a preferred destination for many but it still fails to impress me. All I’ve seen in sowcarpet is traffic, traffic and more traffic. The only thing that keeps me rooted to the place is the totally delicious pani puris they serve here. But times have changed. With the marwaris moving out, chaat shops have sprung all over the city. This comes as a huge boon for me. Mark my words, two more years and am out of this goddamn place.


P.S: Planning to watch avatar with my cousins tomo. So my next post will most probably be a review of the movie.


AND YEAH, HERE’S MY SMS PICK OF THE DAY:


“BELIEVE WHERE OTHERS DOUBT.
WORK WHERE OTHERS REFUSE.
SAVE WHERE OTHERS WASTE.
AND YOU’LL WIN WHERE OTHERS LOSE.”

So keep working, keep winning.

Until then,

ADIOS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment